Purpose of job
Reporting to the site engineering manager the role of automation engineer is to provide electrical and automation maintenance support to ensuring that equipment asset performance is maximised. A high maintenance standard is a must as is adherence to safety and regulatory standards. Analyse downtime and implement cycle of continuous improvement to drive plant uptime by focusing on maintenance best practice. Implement preventative maintenance routines from sawmilling equipment to sophisticated log and board scanners. Provide technical leadership and ownership for site automation and control systems.
· Ensure compliance with external law, rules and regulations relevant to the plant and internal safety standards and procedures.
· Develop and implement new standards, work practices and procedures to improve safety standards
As a Maintenance / Automation Engineer you will be responsible for:
· Manage the software, electrical control hardware and technical documentation of all machines
· Completing plant and equipment fault diagnosis, repair and maintenance to enable the plant to operate safely and efficiently
· First response for all automation / electrical breakdowns on-site
· Carry out detailed root cause analysis on breakdowns to implement corrective repairs
· Be the driving force in implementing new technical solutions in order to improve machine capability according to the business needs and safety & health requirements.
· Troubleshooting PLCs and Programming upgrade changes for machinery
· Isolate problems and determine if problem is mechanical, electrical or from the computer system controlling the process.
· Electrical Reactive and Preventive Maintenance across the Site
· Implement appropriate preventative maintenance activities to ensure efficient operations.
· Ensuring equipment is well maintained to ensure maximum uptime by carrying out routine maintenance and inspections#
· Mentor other team members on basic PLC knowledge to become more proficient
· Ensuring any spares used are documented so replacements can be sourced
· Assisting maintenance team and contractors on site in routine overhauls, servicing, maintenance and breakdowns
· Ensuring all equipment is safely isolated for colleagues to conduct cleaning, inspection etc.
· Supporting a wide range of equipment including – PLC’S, Conveyors, ,packaging machines, safety circuits etc.
· Supporting with plant upgrade and continuous improvement projects.
· Keep current on new technology and upgrades to existing systems
· Building Production reporting system through PLC data
Key Performance Indicators
Key performance indicators for this role will be agreed annually with the job holder and may consist of some or all of the following:
Uptime / downtime in all areas
Ratio of breakdown hours, preventative maintenance hours and process improvement hours
Continuous Improvement Ideas Implemented
Compliance with regulatory inspections
Capital Project support
Education and Training
· Electrical Qualification with automation experience either 3rd level Qualification or time served
· Strong electrical and electronic repair and diagnostic skills
· Experience in PLC fault finding and repair
· Experience with high volume industrial equipment
· Experience with maintenance of PLC’s, Scada Systems, VSDS, Switchgear
· Have programming knowledge for Logic Controllers, Drives, HMI
· Demonstrate levels of theoretical knowledge with practical application.
· Some Programming Experience
· Good computer skills.
· Previous experience working within a maintenance environment
· Minimum 3-5 years experience in automation maintenance.
· Experience with LV switchgear and Motor power and control circuits
· Have experience with Siemens, Allen Bradley
· A 3rd Level Qualification in automation systems or Mechtronics
For more information please call Christina Keating on 0214944872 or email firstname.lastname@example.org