Chief Executive Officer – HCI
Heart Children Ireland (HCI) is a registered charity and voluntary support group for parents and families of children born with Congenital Heart Defects (CHD) which was established in 1990 and today has more than 1,000 member families. HCI also support adults with Congenital Heart Defects and also those children with acquired heart disease.
Heart Children Ireland aims to enable all people affected by Congenital Heart Defects to live the best possible lives.
The main objectives of Heart Children Ireland are:
· to provide support, practical help and assistance (including financial assistance and the provision of equipment) to children, adolescents and adults who are born with or develop heart defects, and their parents or guardians,
· to provide support to hospitals whose functions include the provision of medical assistance to persons with heart defects and to support bereaved families of children who have died from heart defects, and
· to lobby for improved health services on behalf of our members.
To help us continue to deliver and enhance the support offered to our members, we are seeking to appoint an inspiring and highly motivated Chief Executive, who has the skills and experience required to develop and deliver on the strategy of the charity.
The successful candidate should demonstrate a commitment to the aims and ethos of Heart Children Ireland, and a deep understanding and experience of the voluntary sector, with a proven track record of securing funding in challenging times and excellent relationship skills.
The Chief Executive will report to the Chair of the Board of Trustees and will be responsible for the day to day management, operations and administration of Heart Children Ireland and will be required to lead a small team of staff, volunteers and other stakeholders to ensure the objectives of the charity are being delivered in line with the Strategic Plan and good governance.
The role is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious candidate to make a significant impact on a well-established charity that is seeking to grow its support offering over the next few years.
The role may also suit an experienced candidate looking for new challenges in the charity sector where flexible working hours can be agreed on a mutually beneficial basis.
A summary of key responsibilities is set out below.
Finance and fundraising
· Ensuring all statutory reporting, legislative and governance requirements are met and the organisations financial affairs are properly managed.
· Develop and deliver a fundraising strategy to build a sustainable income stream to support the delivery of the charity’s services.
· Provide annual budgets to the finance Committee for approval, ensuring HCI is within agreed spending limits.
· Provide the leadership, vision and direction to ensure the organisation achieves its objectives.
· Lead the development and the delivery of current strategy as agreed by the Board.
· Ensure the Board is up to date with strategy objectives, regular reporting and communication updates to the Board.
· Present at the board meetings, ensuring accurate and up to date information on the delivery of the overall operational plan.
· To represent, promote and lead Heart Children Ireland in all actions and duties while carrying out the role.
· Act as an advocate for the charity on national boards and fora including the All Ireland Congenital Heart Disease Network.
· Lobbying and campaigning for improved services for patients with CHD or acquired heart defects
· Manage Heart Children Ireland’s relationship with Crumlin Hospital and the Mater Hospital for the benefit of our members.
· Develop and maintain a strong digital presence including charity website and social media.
· Interact with stakeholders, volunteers and funders in order to improve services and optimise the supports required.
· Supporting member families through various events
Governance, Legal & Ethical Compliance
· Ensure the organisation maintains its status of compliance with the Voluntary Code of Governance for Charitable organisations.
· Work closely with the Chair of the Board to protect the integrity and reputation of Heart Children Ireland at all times.
· Provide regular structured updates to the Board in respect of core activities, fundraising and service delivery.
Experience and skills required:
· Minimum of seven years’ leadership and senior management experience, preferably in the charity sector
· Demonstrated ability to deliver on projects and manage change
· Strong fundraising credentials
· Experience and knowledge of relationship management with the not-for-profit sector, government funding bodies and regulators, a broad range of stakeholders
· Excellent networking and communication skills
· Ability to work under pressure with a small team
· Resilience, drive, and the ability to engage effectively with members and stakeholders at all levels.
Completed applications (CV and cover letter addressing the key requirements of the post), should be sent to Amy Keenan at Amy.Keenan@cplexec.com.