The role of Cloud Platform Operations Engineer is part of the Operations team in our Cloud Centre of Excellence. The Cloud Centre of Excellence is a cross-functional team responsible for developing and managing the cloud strategy, governance, and best practices that the rest of the organization can leverage to transform the business using the cloud.
In this role, you join a team of highly skilled Operations Engineers responsible for the end-to-end ownership and delivery of public and private cloud services. The Cloud Platform Automation Engineer will be responsible for enabling and maximizing our ability to exploit cloud for business benefits, while ensuring customer satisfaction, cost effectiveness, operational integrity and adherence to relevant industry best practices. You will be provided with guidance and training to facilitate your development within this role.
- Provide support and expertise to troubleshoot issues on the Cloud Platform or hosted Workloads, escalating to other specialised teams as required.
- Contribute to incident root cause analysis, with enough knowledgeable to lead discussions and drive tangible improvements
- Work with peers inside and outside the team to promote and expand automation of operational tasks through consultancy and hands-on expertise, identifying the best fit and highlighting benefits o Provide out of hours on-call support for production and development environments
- Be the subject matter expert on infrastructure elements in the cloud. For example:
- Supporting Services such as DNS, DHCP, PKI etc.
- Design, build and implement tools to aid observability, identification and resolution of incidents that occur on the cloud platform with a strong emphasis on reducing MTTR
- Provide backup and recovery support and guidance for cloud resources. This includes executing disaster recovery procedures to support disaster recovery testing
- Be a point of contact for key ITIL processes that impact the Cloud Platform and hosted Workloads, providing and advice and guidance on how to implement the various requirements in a cloud-first way
- Participate in security incident response and investigation as needed
- 5+ years’ experience in Cloud engineering
- Experience of managing public/private cloud technologies in a large-scale enterprise environment.
- Relevant degree or diploma programme of study.
- Experience writing code in at least one of the following languages: Java, .NET, Node.js, PHP, Python, Ruby
- Experience of working with the latest automation tools in a DevOps and Agile environment.
- Familiarity with version control platforms e.g. Git, Perforce, SVN, TFVC
- Troubleshooting experience in virtual/ cloud infrastructures
- Proven experience of working within supplier-led service delivery models
- Proven ability to succeed in collaborative work environments using Agile/Scrum methodologies.
- PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced level knowledge of Azure or AWS with associated certifications.
- Proficient in the automation of repeatable tasks using appropriate scripting.
- Experience in automated testing supporting operational readiness checks.
- Proficient in the use of configuration management tools e.g. Cloud formation, Ansible, Terraform, Powershell.
You'll be rewarded with an attractive package including competitive base salary, pension, and contribution towards healthcare, plus excellent flexible benefits such as homeworking opportunities. The role also offers prospects for