Role: Controls Engineer.
Reporting to: Maintenance Manager/E&A Manager.
Company: Merck Millipore Ltd
Location: Tullagreen, Carrigtwohill, Co. Cork
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager the Controls Engineer is responsible for the
maintenance, fault finding and replacement of all control’s equipment including PLCs within the Bio tools department.
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
1. Design, develop, install and test PLC and control software Systems & projects.
2. Responsible for the on-going co-ordination and development of PLC systems including upgrading obsolete systems to latest versions including managing Vendors to complete upgrades.
3. Responsible for the integration and development of all supervisory control and Data acquisition systems. [Intouch & FactoryTalk View]
4. Lead or manage the development of GAMP documentation with the project team e.g. URS, FDS, FAT, SAT etc...
5. Participate and in some cases lead projects, provide technical support and make informed decisions on hardware and architecture selection.
6. Monitor and analyse opportunities for the development of new or improved tools for process improvement activities.
7. Work with OEM system suppliers to ensure Merck Millipore requirements are met. 2 of 4 9. Have a keen ability to fault find complex automation equipment including interrogation of program code to identify issues.
8. Coach area technicians and junior control engineers as required and support problem solving and continuous improvement efforts across all areas of Biotools.
9. Carry out justification for capital projects for the site and lead all elements of the project within schedule and costs
10. Manage all Requisitions and financial needs to ensure site discretionary budgets and capital budgets are met.
11. Give input to the budgeting process for controls \ automation needs to allow the correct finance to be put in place for execution.
12. Ensure project design and installations meet the requirement of EU directives such as the Machinery Directive and CE compliance.
13. Ensure Electrical Control Panels are built to standard and adhere to Safety of Machinery – EN60204-1.
14. Develop critical spares list for site controls and automation hardware & ensure that critical spares are in stock or are readily available at all times. Ensure that an effective program is then maintained.
15. Investigate EHS incidents, lead RCAs and complete EHS actions as appropriate.
16. Perform all tasks with due recognition of safety, environment, GMP & plant procedures.
17. Support production teams in attaining all targets set out in the production schedule
18. Responsible for the supervision and control of all documentation / back up systems related to plant controls and PLC's.
19. Responsible for negotiating and maintaining all associated support contracts.
20. Responsible for keeping all controls related equipment up to date and conforming to all internationally recognised standards
BEng degree in electrical/electronic/automation engineering or equivalent, with particular emphasis in the automation discipline.
· Minimum of 7 years + industry experience in an FDA or GMP environment as an automation \ controls engineer.
· Project management experience and qualification is desirable.
· Experience with Robotic/pick &place Machines with high speed assembly operations required.
· Knowledge of interfacing with and controlling of servo drive and Motion Control systems. Exposure to Vision Systems is preferable.
· Experienced with Rockwell, Siemens S7, Telemecanique and other types of PLC Controllers.
· In depth knowledge of automation network protocols including EtherNet IP, DeviceNet, ControlNet, Modbus and Profibus.
· Knowledge of control systems integration with plant MES (Manufacturing Execution System).
· Excellent problem solving and analytical ability and the ability to work as part of a team. Be familiar with planned preventative maintenance approaches.
· Excellent awareness and experience in relation to Quality and Health, Environment and Safety.
· Management of projects through their full life-cycle.
· Knowledge of CE marking and declaration of conformity reviews and approvals.
· A knowledge of IT systems that support manufacturing equipment.
· Lead Machine Improvement Initiatives to increase reliability or productivity.
· Familiar with GMP requirements within a regulated industry.
· Excellent verbal, written & interpersonal communication skills.
· Motivated team player with pro-active and flexible approach to work.
· Ability to deliver on time and meet tight deadlines.
· The ability to work effectively within a team environment.
· Capable of working on several projects with different businesses, priorities and design requirements.
· Keen to learn & take responsibility within a fast paced environment.
· Training and professional development of maintenance technicians
· Strong organisational, time management and planning ability.
· Computer Literate in Excel, Word etc.
· Methodical Work Approach