Our client, a well-known player in the construction industry is looking to hire a Head of Commercial to oversee their Irish operations commercial activities.
Purpose of the role
· A commercially focussed, entrepreneurial, and results-driven leader that shall execute the business strategies of our client delivering turnover, profit, and financial targets for the entire island of Ireland.
· You will promote a specification sales approach where the details of all commercial proposals are clearly documented and understood by both the customers and the internal departments of our client. You’ll generate enhanced order values through the effective promotion of additional product offerings (Air Conditioning, furniture, fire alarms etc.) collectively known as Building Services throughout the client organisation.
· You will coach, develop, inspire, and support the existing team members by ensuring they are properly trained and briefed to deliver against stretched targets while demonstrating strict adherence to the organisations policies and governance guidelines, and on occasions a commitment to personally take the lead on projects or to support “under performers” to ensure the overall commercial targets of the company are achieved.
· With overall responsibility for Marketing and Business Development, you will provide clear direction to these departments to ensure that their activities are aligned with the strategic objectives of the company and that their impact in achieving the annual commercial targets is quantifiable and recognisable to all within the company.
· Driving a culture for continued year-on-year growth you will establish deep relationships with other commercially focussed colleagues throughout the Group, with the objective of identifying best practices and embedding these improved commercial techniques into the Irish business.
· Motivated by results – and by a strong drive towards improvement - the Head of Commercial will positively influence his/her Team and must personally exhibit and foster within others, a culture where meeting all commercial targets on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis is deemed to be the minimum performance level acceptable to all.
· Passionate about quality, the Head of Commercial will be proactive and vocal in demanding that all quality standards are achieved on each and every contract.
Accountabilities of the role
· Utilise business tools such as CRM and Power BI to ensure the commercial targets are understood by all team members and that performance against these targets is regularly assessed
· Develop a specification-based sales approach enabling the commercial team to provide clarity of specification to the customer which can easily be translated into an accurate scope of works that can be used for pricing and production planning and agreement on potential variations.
· Ensure that stretching targets for Building Services products are achieved in a consistent basis across all depots and product categories (Modular and Single Modular Buildings).
· Ensure that every opportunity to secure preferential terms are secured by the commercial team.
· Take personal responsibility for strategically important opportunities or regions where performance is not at an acceptable level.
· Ensure a smooth transition of information from Commercial to Operations resulting in a finished product that is aligned with the specification agreed with the customer.
· Achieve all commercial targets on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
· Review KPI’s to ensure that Business Services best in class sales techniques are being implemented on a consistent manner across the depot network.
· Assist the Director and General Manager in the development of the future commercial strategy for the company
· Provide day-to-day, operational, and strategic leadership to the Commercial department.
· Coach, lead, develop and motivate the team to ensure performance and order values are maximised.
· Oversee the recruitment, training, performance management and reviews of employees’ in-line with Company guidelines.
· Provide clear direction to the Marketing and Business Development functions to ensure that their efforts are quantifiable and totally aligned with the strategic and commercial direction of the company.
· Utilise (appropriate) KPI’s to monitor overall performance excellence while identifying those areas of performance requiring increased support and guidance.
Financial & Governance
· Ensure that Health & Safety is given the required profile across the Commercial department and that all colleagues understand their responsibilities and obligations in this regard.
· Contribute to and prepare annual budget and financial plans
· Ensure that all governance requirements in relation to orders and opportunities are understood and fully adhered to by the team.
· Minimise and mitigate risks through consistent implementation and improvement of agreed risk management procedures
· Provide Finance and Operations with accurate demand and termination forecasts to facilitate accurate forecasting of contribution and factory spend.
· Protect the budgeted margins by ensuring that all projects are fully costed on the basis of a detailed specification that has been agreed with the customer and communicated effectively to Operations.
· Ensure the Opportunity and Business Development targets are consistently achieved
· Analyse contract margins to ensure that all costs associated with the refurbishment, fitting out and installation of Company products/services were recovered and drive initiatives for continued improvement in this area.
· Provide accurate demand forecasts to the Operations and Finance teams to facilitate accurate overall business planning.
· Drive efficiency with the implementation of best practice and continually strives to maximise suppliers’ capabilities to the benefit of our client.
· Substantial technical sales experience, including f2f and B2B
· Experience of commercial management, leading, developing and motivating teams with a natural coaching style
· Extensive experience of specification selling into the construction industry or related industries
· Experience gained in a Hire environment
· Experience of working collaboratively with other senior stakeholders to ensure strategic objectives are delivered
· Experience in controlling P & L performance
· Track record of delivering against challenging targets
· Track record of successfully introducing new processes and KPIs