Job Title: Laboratory Manager
Reports To: Business Services Manager
Contract Type: Full Time, Permanent Contract
The Laboratory Manager’s job is to co-ordinate, manage and provide leadership for the Laboratory Medicine Department in the Hospital.
The person holding this post is required to support the principle that the care of the patient comes first at all times and will approach their work with the flexibility and enthusiasm necessary to make this principle a reality for every patient to the greatest possible degree.
Leadership and Accountability
- Provide effective leadership which results in the delivery of an effective, efficient, quality assured and patient-centered laboratory medicine service.
- In collaboration with Consultant Pathologists and Chief Medical Scientists, is responsible for the coordination and provision of all Pathology services.
- Develop a shared sense of commitment and participation among staff in the planning and development of the service.
- Keep the Laboratory Clinical Director and Business Manager appraised of all developments within the laboratory and perform such additional duties as may be assigned from time to time by them or other designate.
- Perform tasks and duties in a manner that ensures compliance with relevant regulations including the Blood Directive 2002/98/EC and the Medical Devices Directives 93/42/EC and 98/79/EX, where applicable.
- Takes responsibility for the IT function within the laboratory in association with the Laboratory IT Administrator.
- Provide oversight and supervision of the POCT program jointly with the relevant Medical Consultants.
- Take an active role in the pursuit of laboratory accreditation in conjunction with Chief Medical Scientists and Medical Consultants.
- Advise management on necessary planned change within the laboratories and implement such change in conjunction with the Chief Medical Scientists and Medical Consultants.
Planning & Operation
- Co-ordinate the services of all laboratory departments. Development and implementation of operational policies, protocols and guidelines for the efficient operation of laboratory services. Ensure efficient utilisation of resources and ensure systematic audit of usage of such resources.
- Advise on scientific equipment selection, purchase, replacement or upgrading.
- Participate in the preparation of annual service plans for the service and monitor and report on their implementation as required.
- Prepare reports on laboratory and related activities and expenditure as requested by the Business Manager or other designated officer.
- Participate in and co-operate with any internal or external evaluation of the service.
- Work with the Laboratory Quality Assurance Manager and other senior staff in preparing for INAB, JCI and other inspections as required.
- Be responsible for the identification and development of key performance indicators (KPIs) which are congruent with the Hospital’s service plan targets. Have responsibility for the management and delivery of KPIs as a routine and core business objective. Develop action plans to address non-attainment of KPI targets.
- Contribute to the strategic and development planning of the wider organization.
Human Resource Management
- Responsible for the management of all staff within the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with Chief Medical Scientists, Clerical Supervisor, Senior Phlebotomist, and Administration supervisor on the management of staff in their respective areas.
- Ensure the optimum and effective use of staff through efficient rostering, skill and grade mix planning, work load measurement and staff development.
- In conjunction with the Business Manager and Head of HR, develop a strategic human resource plan for the department in line with the Hospitals objectives
- Participate in Recruitment & Selection, Retention initiatives, and Induction & Training of all laboratory staff.
- In conjunction with the HR Director, be a key player in the development of a performance management system for the Laboratory. Initiate the implementation of an individual performance review process and foster a high level of morale among staff by effective motivation and communication.
- Promote and maintain a safe environment for staff. Develop and implement risk management and health and safety strategies in consultation with appropriate personnel.
- Prepare annual financial budgets in respect of pay and non-pay costs, incorporating staffing, education and training costs.
- Participate in the overall financial planning of the service, including the negotiation of resources and the assessment of priorities in pay and non-pay expenditure.
- Ensure expenditure is controlled within budget and identify potential for efficiency savings through improved practices and innovation.
- Implement appropriate budgetary control measures and implement monthly expenditure audit systems.
- Develop, implement and evaluate strategies to maximise potential income generated by activities.
- Co-operate with relevant departments in establishing costing methods in respect of utilisation of the Laboratory Medicine Service.
Research, Education & Professional Development
- Ensure that appropriate in-service education programmes and ongoing learning needs are met for all laboratory staff. Liaise and co-operate as appropriate with third level education institutions.
- Monitor recent research and new developments. Initiate, facilitate and take part in relevant research and promote awareness of ongoing and current research into issues affecting patient care. Encourage adoption of new ideas and technology throughout the hospital.
- Ensure that best practice standards are in operation and that regular monitoring is undertaken through audit.
- Ensure adherence to the ISO 15189 quality management system across the laboratory and to ISO 22870 for point of care analysis.
- Maintain good collaborative working relationships and communications with appropriate statutory, professional and voluntary organisations responsible for and/or participating in health care.
- Ensure adherence to all codes and guidelines relating to professional practice.
- Ensure compliance with all legislation.
- Have a strong working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the role for example, Standards for Healthcare, National Standards for the Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infections, hygiene standards etc.
- Assume joint responsibility with the Laboratory Clinical Director for the role of Laboratory Director (as defined by ISO15189:2012).
Quality Management, Risk Management, Infection Control, Hygiene Services and Health & SafetyThe management of quality, risk, infection prevention and control, hygiene services and health & safety is the responsibility of everyone and will be achieved within a progressive, honest and open environment.
The post holders’ specific responsibility for the management of quality & risk management, hygiene services and health & safety within the laboratory.
The post holder has a duty to familiarise themselves with the relevant organisational policies, procedures & standards and attend training as appropriate in the following areas:
- Continuous quality improvement initiatives
- Document control and information management systems
- Risk management strategy and policies
- Hygiene related policies, procedures and standards
- Decontamination Code of Practice
- Infection prevention and control policies
- Safety Statement, health & safety policies and fire procedure
- Data protection and confidentiality policies
|Education||Candidates for the appointment must possess:
|Registration||Candidates must be registered with CORU, regulatory body for Health and social Care Professionals in Ireland|
|Experience||Have at least seven (7) years experience in a Medical Laboratory since qualification, two (2) of which were spent in a promotional post.|