We are delighted to announce that our client the Environmental Protection Agency are currently recruiting for a Programme Officer I (Level 3) ICT Development Lead.
Overview of the Role:
The EPA is seeking a Developer Team Lead to work with the EPA business and project teams to support the implementation of the EPA ICT Strategy, by:
- Defining and supporting the design of secure solution architectures;
- Translating business needs into realisable system designs for business focussed ICT work programmes;
- Support organisational change and development by monitoring new and emerging ICT requirements and best practice; and
- Identifying areas of software process improvement to future proof and enhance the organisation’s development capability.
The successful candidate will ensure sufficient development resources are available and effectively applied to application development projects and that development and testing practices, solution architecture, standards and techniques are understood and adhered to.
The Appointee will report to the ICT Delivery Lead or other designated officer and will play a key role in Strategic ICT Management and the development of strategic organisational and staff development programmes.
The successful candidate will lead a dynamic multi-disciplinary team and must demonstrate a record of achievement that demonstrates their capacity and management capability to deliver in this challenging role. The person appointed should have the capacity to lead other EPA Functions/Programmes in the future as the assignment and area of work may subsequently change in accordance with organisational requirements.
The key responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the implementation of the EPA ICT Strategy by defining and supporting the design of secure solution architectures translating business needs into realisable system designs across all phases of delivery from design, development, testing and implementation to transition to operational support and ICT disaster recovery for business focussed ICT work programmes;
- Design, implement, migrate and manage the maintenance, monitoring and security of on-premise and cloud-based systems for business considering the project needs in terms of resource usage and scalability;
- Management of a continuous build environment for software development, testing and deployment and automating processes wherever possible;
- Supporting organisational change and development by monitoring new and emerging ICT requirements and best practice and identifying areas of software process improvement to future proof and enhance the organisation’s development capability;
- Manage and plan the implementation of technology upgrades/patches considering and advising on possible impacts;
- Identifying, designing and implementing best practices standards for programming, testing tools and techniques to ensure quality EPA systems are built securely;
- Ensuring appropriate governance of development and testing practices, solution architecture, standards and techniques;
- Managing and allocating resources and project planning;
- Collaborating and engaging with relevant ICT stakeholders including; Enterprise Architects, ICT Operations, Project Managers, Scrum Master, Product Owner (business) and Developer teams (scrum) to develop a strong understanding of each project and associated objectives;
- Develop the necessary team skills to deliver the ICT work programme and drive knowledge sharing and continuous improvement capabilities within the team;
- Coordinating with the Service Desk and ICT Operations Team to provide third-line support.
- Leading and managing staff and contractors while fostering EPA Culture and Values;
- Leading, managing, motivating and developing staff through a Performance Management and Development System;
- Managing an ICT budget and delivering excellence in procurement and outsourced services management;
- Contributing to the development and delivery of office Work Programmes, including budget preparation, management and control;
- Maintaining a clear and detailed understanding of relevant legislation and emerging technologies, architectures and products;
- Preparing reports and submissions to the Board, Senior Management and outside bodies;
- Undertaking such other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Candidates must have on or before 29th July 2021:
- An appropriate degree (NFQ Level 8) in Computer Science, Business Information Systems, Information Technology or equivalent.
- A minimum of five years’ relevant work experience within ICT Development and Test in agile/scrum environments.
- Demonstrated experience in Scrum methodology and technical experience delivering business focussed applications in a similar role which must include one or more of the following:
- Implementing IT concepts, development & testing methodologies, architectures and technical standards in an enterprise technical and business environment.
- Development of web application built on modern technologies (e.g. one or more of: NET Core, ReactJS, Node.JS, npm, ElasticSearch or IIS);
- API development, integration and testing experience;
- Experience in one or more of the following technologies: .NET 4.5 and above, .NET Core, ASP.NETMVC, RestFull API, C#, T-SQL, HTML5 or CSS
- Experience in the following Database Technologies - Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, MS Access;
- Experience with Source Control and DevOps practices in one or more of the following or similar: Team Foundation Server 2018 / Azure DevOps, GIT or CI/CD.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including demonstratable experience in the preparation and presenting of information for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead a team, working with and through others to successfully deliver ICT projects.
- Demonstrated ability to manage process improvements and the design, development and implementation of business-led quality and secure ICT solutions for multiple stakeholders.
Location: EPA Headquarters, Wexford
Employing Authority: Environmental Protection Agency
Position Title: Programme Officer I (Level 3) ICT Development Lead
Post Number: 001954
Department/Office: ICT Programme, Office of Communications & Corporate Services
Panel Information: A panel will be formed for the purpose of filling this vacancy and will expire once an appointment is confirmed.
Please note that cover letters and CVs are not required and should not be submitted.
Only applications submitted by email on the official EPA application form for this competition will be accepted. Applications sent to other email addresses will not be considered.
Closing Date: 4.00pm on Thursday 29th July 2021