COMMISSION FOR RAILWAY REGULATION
Job Title: Inspector - Grade II
Supervisor: Principal Inspector
Job Location: Blackrock Dublin / Home Working
This position involves the oversight of all railway organisations operating in the state. This includes the national heavy rail network (Iarnród Éireann) and other railway undertakings, the Dublin light rail network (LUAS), elements of Bord Na Móna’s industrial railway and numerous heritage railways. Project Ireland 2040, and the National Development Plan 2018—2027 will see significant investment and expansion in the rail/light rail sectors, with new rolling stock, the electrification of certain routes and the expansion of the DART network. In addition, the National Transport Authority’s Transport Strategy for the Greater Dublin Area 2016-2035, will see new LUAS lines and the MetroLink project between Swords in north Co. Dublin and Sandyford in south Dublin. A large portion of the route will be underground and will change the way people move in the Dublin region. Moreover, a light rail scheme for Cork is also in the feasibility and concept stage. It is therefore considered an exciting time to work for the CRR.
This Inspector Post is in the Approvals/Authorisation for Placing in Service and Conformity Assessment of Safety Management Systems Department (APIS + SMSCA). The principal responsibilities for this post are:
1. Assessment of applications for authorisation to place in service railway fixed installations and vehicles to European and/or National Legislation.
2. Assessment of the safety management systems of railway undertakings and infrastructure managers for issuing safety certificates/authorisations.
3. Participating in other assessment (approvals) activities within the remit of the CRR (e.g. Cableways, Heritage Railways)
4. Supporting the APIS + SMS CA team in updating and creating CRR guidelines for railway undertakings and infrastructure managers.
5. Supporting the CRR in its engagement with the European Railway Agency and attendance at Agency Working Groups and Committees.
6. Any other duties that may be assigned by the CRR
Qualifications – Essential
· Degree or third level professional qualification (HETAC Level 8) in a relevant discipline: e.g. civil, mechanical, electrical engineering; safety and risk management; and/or railway safety related topics.
Knowledge – Essential
· Safety Management System (SMS) principles
· Risk assessment methods and systems auditing
· Safety legislation as applied in hazardous industries
· Regulatory methods and practices
Experience – Essential
· A minimum of 3 years post-graduate experience in the railway sector, or equivalent experience in regulation of safety in other hazardous industries, e.g., aviation, oil & gas, construction etc
· Effective team player with stakeholder management capabilities
· Effective decision maker and ability to work on own initiative
· Fluency in the English language, both written and oral
Experience – Desirable
· Of railway sub-systems
· Of RAMS – Railway applications – the specification and demonstration of Reliability,
Availability, Maintainability and Safety
· Of safety management processes and risk management processes within engineering projects
· Of EU and National railway legislation
For more detailed information about this position please contact Rob Kiernan at email@example.com