Principal Design Automation Engineer
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF:
• Champions a common-sense approach to automation projects using the USA1 principle.
• Leads a program to search for improvements through USA principles and strategies for automation creating an improvements/automation roadmap which feeds into RGI’s capital assets budgeting for the next two years.
• Manages mission critical2 automation projects through their typical lifecycle3 for legacy products and new product development projects.
• Provides guidance to RGI manufacturing sites on automation strategies, best practices and project lifecycle3 workstream.
• Provides subject matter expertise4 to RGI and vendor automation related stakeholders as appropriate and performs test, debugging and troubleshooting activities on mission critical automation systems.
• Prepares design specifications, analysis and recommendations for presentation and approval.
• May specify materials, equipment and supplies required for completion of projects and evaluates vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
• Procures and manages vendors involved on mission critical automation projects (contracts, performance, payments).
• Ensures delivered automation systems adhere to applicable domestic and international standards as well as to company and manufacturing site’s EHS policies and SOP’s.
1. Understand the existing process, Simplify the process, Automate the process.
2. Quality, Cost Reduction, Capacity/Service.
3. As per MITG Automation Manual (formation - technical reviews/DFX/PFMEA – RFP – RFQ - Vendor selection – CER - Kick off - design reviews – FAT – SAT – Closeout).
4. Computer aided design (CAD) software engineering methods, theories and research techniques.
KEY SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, science, or closely related discipline.
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a medical device or related industry, with demonstrated track record of leading automation systems development.
• Knowledgeable & experienced about mechanical, electrical/electronic design, programmable logic controls (PLC) – Allen Bradley, pneumatic systems, motor control, vision systems, and instrumentation.
• Knowledgeable on project management of automation systems development lifecycle.
• Knowledgeable and experienced on Design for Excellence (DFX) Principles and risk management methodologies such as PFMEA.
• Strong mechanical aptitude (understanding and using machines and tools).
• Solid Works and/or AutoCAD, MS Office, MS Project.
• Effective verbal, non-verbal, visual, and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of Cyber Security and Data Integrity.
• Six Sigma/Lean certified preferred.
This role will involve up to 25% international travel. A valid EU passport/ work visa (Stamp 4) is essential for this role.