Procurement Manager – Newry
The post holder will have management responsibility for the Procurement services section of the Finance department and will work under the direction and guidance of the Assistant Director of Finance to ensure the provision of an efficient and effective service.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• To be responsible for ensuring that the purchasing process complies with all relevant EU legislation, value for money and public procurement principles, the Financial Memorandum and other procurement guidance issued by CPD and DfE:
• To be responsible for implementing relevant aspects of the Procurement Policy and Procedure including:
- Ensuring that best practice is incorporated into procurement processes:
- Ensuring that the Procurement policy and operational procedures are available to all those involved in purchasing
- Reviewing and updating the Procurement policy and operating procedures
- Providing advice, guidance and training to all staff in relation to procurement activities to ensure adherence to the Policy and procedures and best value
- The Procurement policy and operational procedures are complied with by all involved in purchasing
- Participating in the development and implementation of a procurement strategy.
· To be responsible for the procurement process within the College including
- The production and implementation of the College Procurement plan to ensure delivery of the programme of tenders, quotations and contracts on a timely basis
- Managing and assisting with the preparation of tender documents, specifications, advertisements and provision of administrative support and procedural advice at evaluation meetings
- Coordinating tender evaluation processes and providing administration support, including preparing, updating and storing all tender documentation
- Acting as liaison with the College’s Centre for Procurement Expertise, Central Procurement Directorate
- Providing technical advice and guidance to managers, budget holders and others engaged in procurement actions including the processes to be followed in respect of procurement activities
- Managing the maintenance of workable filing systems for catalogues, contract files, contacts, completed tenders and quotations
- To be responsible for establishing and maintaining robust contract management procedures and reporting any instances of non-compliance
- To assist contract managers in resolving contract disputes / issues.
· To record and provide information on procurement activity
· To represent the College on the Northern Ireland Purchasing Officers’ Network (NIPON);
· To be the liaison point for communications (and co-ordination of actions) between the procurement function, budget holders and procurement advisers in all matters relating to procurement projects and initiatives
· To manage the day-to-day operations of the Procurement team with the aim of achieving value for money in all purchasing in line with procedures and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Finance function through the development and application of information and computer technology
· Ensure that operational procedures used within the Procurement team are reviewed annually and are compliant with current Policies
· Identify and implement any systems or process changes that will improve the efficiency or effectiveness of the Procurement Function
· Ensure that Procurement team members have access to operational procedures, training manuals and guidance to allow them to comply with operational procedures and effectively discharge their responsibilities
· To be responsible for the provision of accurate and timely information, analysis and reports on purchasing activities, including reporting incidences of non-compliance with policy, Assistant Director of Finance and /or the Director of Finance and Planning.
· To assist with the administration of the Financial Accounting system to ensure accurate information relating to procurement activities is available.
· To be responsible for the day-to-day management of all audits in respect of procurement activities and to co-ordinate timely implementation of audit recommendations and reviewing and redesigning processes where necessary.
· To provide as required training to finance and non-finance staff to ensure they can carry out their responsibilities as outlined in the procurement procedures
· To undertaking any other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Assistant Director of Finance.
• Manage, organise and supervise all staff employed in the designated area;
• Act as the designated line manager for staff on issues including conduct and discipline, performance management, attendance management, staff appraisal, curriculum and staff development; and
• Ensure that effective arrangements are in place for staff development and that performance reviews are conducted in accordance with agreed procedures.
• Participate in the enrolment cover rota as appropriate.
• Be required to undertake work outside normal working hours on occasions.
• Provide reports, written and oral, as required.
• Ensure that all documentation and authorisation procedures are adhered to.
1. Have a minimum of five years professional experience within the procurement function of a large complex organisation. This experience must include public sector experience in at least 3 of the following areas:
- Preparation of annual procurement plans
- Preparation of tender documents to comply with Northern Ireland Public Procurement Policy (NIPPP)
- Evaluation of tenders which are subject to EU regulation
- Maintenance of a Contracts register
- Management of contract disputes.
2. A minimum of 2 years’ experience of using a web-based procurement system with integrated approvals.
3. Experience using Microsoft Word to compile reports and present information in a structured format
4. Experience of managing a team.
5. A pass grade at GCSE Level in English Language or Essential Skills Level 2 in Literacy or an equivalent qualification.
6. A pass grade at GCSE Level in Mathematics or Essential Skills Level 2 in Numeracy or NICATS Access Maths Modules or an equivalent qualification.
Apply now or contact me (Richard) for more information on Richard.email@example.com / 07387417276