|Key Responsibilities ||
- To develop competency in a range of in vivo techniques (e.g. dosing via common routes, anaesthesia, post op checks, aseptic technique & reporting clinical signs).
- Early detection of signs of ill health/loss of condition via clinical observations for prevention of premature decedents.
- Understand the current expectations of Home Office legislation (e.g. Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 (ASPA) for the care and welfare requirements for species housed within CBUK.
- Knowledge of relevant methods of humane killing listed in ASPA Schedule 1 and any other approved methods specified on the establishment licence; either be competent in their use or be able to contact others who are named on your establishment’s register of qualified persons.
- Support the system to ensure that a competent person sees and checks every animal kept in the approved holding area at least once daily.
- Understand the main provisions of project licences, particularly the adverse effects expected for each protocol, the control measures, humane end-points specified and the methods of killing specified in licences.
- Understand the culture of care at your establishment and who is acting as a mentor, coach and role model for all those who care for and use animals.
- To be responsible for appropriate records, including helping the establishment licence holder to keep suitable records of the health of the animals (under the supervision of the Named Veterinary Surgeon); which animals are held, of the source and disposal of animals.
- May support training on experimental procedures in line with current regulatory and/or legislative requirements and to agreed company standards and productivity.
- To be responsible for the generation and provision of high-quality data production and reports to respective Study Directors.
- Will participate and provide training in general unit sanitation, husbandry and cage washing to demonstrate linear approach to essential facility requirements.
- To be an effective, proactive team member possessing a range of practical skills and demonstrating flexibility at all times.
- To understand potential problems associated with the experiments and carry out solutions that have been discussed and agreed with the Head of Technical Operations and other team members.
- To ensure that appropriate levels of sterility and barrier containment are maintained when performing duties.
- Support the continual review of processes and procedures with the view to implement efficiencies.
- To maintain SOP’s, working in association with QMS systems to ensure high quality is maintained.
- Proactive up keep of personal training records