Senior Database Administrator – Cloud Infrastructure
Everyday Clover devices handle the core credit card and Point-Of-Sale (POS) processing for hundreds of thousands of merchants worldwide. Behind the scenes we operate a cloud platform providing processing, storage and collaboration for merchants, application developers, service providers and our merchant’s customers.
Our devices and platform form the backbone of millions of payment interactions between merchants and their customers daily. We are looking for self-starters with a passion for technology who want to help us impact millions of merchant’s lives, one transaction at a time.
What does a Clover DBA do?
Every day, Clover devices handle the core credit card and point-of-sale processing for hundreds of thousands of merchants. Behind the scenes, we operate a cloud platform providing processing, storage and collaboration for merchants, application developers, service providers and our merchants' customers.
To support all of this, we have a team of specialist engineers dedicated to ensuring our systems remain operational, safe and secure.
As a Senior DBA at Clover, you can look forward to:
• Working closely with the Engineering and Development teams based in multiple geographic locations on upcoming feature rollouts
• Perform regular database schema changes with no downtime
• Design and rollout database sharding, create new database clusters/shards for support of customer data growth. Perform and manage migrations of customer data between shards
• Solve performance issues and drive optimizations
• Automate recurring DBA tasks
• Take part in DBA team on-call rotation. Manage production incidents and mitigations
• Monitor database environment to maintain high availability and proactively identify and tackle issues
• Work with and educate our Engineering teams to make good schema design choices and write efficient queries
• Monitor and improve our backup solution to ensure that our customers' data is always secure
• Influence peer efficiency by staying on top of the industry, as well as contribute to the industry on behalf of Clover
• Maintain database systems, update software versions
• Create reports, documentation, operating manuals, runbooks including routine tasks and processes
• Track and apply changes to database objects and data transformations in testing and production environments
• Maintain database continuous integration, delivery, and deployment efforts in support of DevOps initiatives
• Leverage standard platforms and cloud technologies to improve efficiency and scalability of data & services
• Apply industry standard security principles and best practices
Requirements for Consideration
• Several years of proven ability with MySQL architecture, replication, sharding, monitoring, troubleshooting and backups.
• Proven ability on automation and strong use of a scripting languages
• Expert knowledge with SQL and stored routines
• Working knowledge with AWS/GCP database technologies like Aurora, DynamoDB, Snowflake, CloudSQL etc will be a plus
• Experience working with MySQL in sharded environment and associated challenges with performance and growth
• Experience working with ProxySQL and Maxscale
• Query tuning, optimization, and monitoring in an enterprise environment.
• Root cause analysis of performance and integrity issues.
• Working experience with Infrastructure as Code (i.e., Terraform), and Configuration Management tools (i.e., Puppet, Chef, Ansible etc.) is a strong plus
• Experience working with distributed teams and multiple geographically distributed markets
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including interpersonal skills
• Prioritize and deliver results effectively on concurrent projects in fast-paced team-oriented environment
• Highly motivated, well organized, and detail oriented. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Preferred Skills, Experience, and Education
• Degree/Diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or in a relevant field.
• Here is a complete list of desirable skills:
Linux Admin (CentOS), Python, Puppet (or Chef), MySQL / PostGreSQL Admin, RDBMS / SQL / DDL / DML, Terraform, Encryption/certs/security, HAProxy, TCP/IP, Monitoring: TCollector/ DataDog/ Grafana, YAML / XML, ELK Stack, Git / GitHub / Gitlab Admin, Bash / Shell / Java, Yum/RPM, Docker, Kubernetes, GCP/AWS, DNS, LDAP
To support the total well-being of our associates, we take a broad approach to our benefits. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that provides flexibility and affordability with a variety of options including:
• Health Insurance
• Contributory Pension
• Finance Rewards Program
• Employee Referral Scheme
• Service Awards
• Education Support
• Life Assurance
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• 22 Days Annual Leave (increasing based on service)