Special care units are secure, residential facilities for children in care aged between 11 and 17 years. It is part of a continuum of State care available to children in Ireland, providing for a short-term, stabilising intervention that prioritises safe care in a secure, therapeutic environment. It aims to support the young person and assist in their development to enable the child to return to a less secure placement as soon as possible, based on the needs of that child.
This is a challenging role but is an extremely rewarding position in the social care sector.
- To participate in the development and implementation of Care and Placement Plans and to ensure appropriate recording of same.
- To promote the rights and responsibilities of each child/young person within the centre.
- To promote physical, emotional, social, educational, and religious welfare of each young person in care.
- To be responsible for the organisation of personal documents, arrangements, information, and finance on behalf of the young person.
- To liaise with the parent, family, general services, and other agencies on behalf of the young person.
- To engage in age-appropriate play and other activities with each child/young person within the centre.
- To engage in physical intervention where this is in keeping with local policies and procedures.
- To prepare and provide, in conjunction with the young people, well balanced meals of high quality and maintain household duties.
- To attend team meetings and to report to the Social Care Leader /Manager on matters affecting the delivery of service.
- Report Writing and documentation
- Assist in the supervision of students when required
- To attend regular supervision with the Social Care Leader / Manager.
- Minimum level 7 in social care or Applied Social Studies, or Youth and Community level 7 or BA(Hons) Youth and Community Development or BA (Hons) Psychology, or Addiction Studies level 7, or BA (Hons) counselling and Addiction Studies or Disability Diploma (Primary Degree) - level 7 or Social Science (level 7 Minimum)
- Minimum 6 months working in social care sector (placement experience included)
- Ideally some experience working with young people or residential experience
- Experience working with challenging behaviour and an understanding of therapeutic interventions
- Working Knowledge of Children's First and The National Standards for Residential Services