The client is in a rapid growth phase and is seeking to recruit a Sustainability Manager, which will form part of the Retail Operations Ireland (ROI) team and will report to the Commercial Director (ROI). The successful candidate will be a confident people person who can fit into the company seamlessly and adopt a hands-on approach to their role.
The client considers economic, environmental and social responsibility as an integral part of its corporate philosophy and understands the contribution the Company can make to a more sustainable development. This new role will have a real impact on how we define and progress the sustainability, health and safety agenda across the business in Ireland. The client’s Sustainability Strategy is aligned to the Group’s business strategy and reflects the ambitions of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Key focus areas emerged from the prioritisation of material issues which were used to develop four pillars:
- Enabling a Low Carbon Future
- Embracing Cleaner Energy
- Nurturing our People
- Investing in our Customers and Communities
The Sustainability Manager will develop, maintain and protect environmental and sustainability standards in accordance with current environmental legislation and it is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to excel.
Travel is a requirement for this role, so applicants would preferably have access to their own transport and must hold a current, clean, full driving license.
As The client expands, the responsibilities will evolve and change over time.
The core responsibilities will centre around the following areas:
- Help define and implement the Sustainability and Environmental Strategy for Retail Operations Ireland in the main, with some extension to the wider group as required.
- Work with senior executive leaders to establish sustainability strategy, goals and governance.
- Develop and implement sustainability policies, practices and associated standard operating procedures for the companies business in Ireland.
- Lead implementation of program initiatives for carbon neutrality, water stewardship & energy conservation.
- Analyse and monitor sustainability data, provide trend reports and present recommendations to senior management.
- Manage commercial relationships with relevant suppliers around energy, waste and Carbon off sets ensuring objectives of Sustainability are achieved.
- Leverage and work with our Carbon Reduction Partners on implementing best practice and leading in sustainability initiatives.
- Prepare presentations for senior leadership and Annual Sustainability reports.
- Work cross divisionally where required on compliance and reporting requirements.
- Keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of all Environmental and Sustainability legislation and any developments that affects the ROI business.
- Lead in-house training with managers and employees about Sustainability and issues arising.
The Candidate should have the following:
Qualifications, experience & skills
- 3rd level qualification in a technical/energy/science related discipline.
- 5 + years' experience in a similar industry/discipline (multi-site, wide range and variety of operations in the Retail/Food Service/Catering industry).
- Has both experience and skills relating to budget management and auditing.
- Strong written communication skills and a knowledge of report writing is preferred.
- Has knowledge of computer systems; SAP experience preferred.
- High proficiency in all Microsoft Office software is essential (Excel, PPT)
Additional Key Skills & Attributes:
- A dynamic individual who adapts well to change and can thrive in a rapidly growing organisation that continues to evolve.
- Ability to execute directly at high quality and pace and proven track record delivering to tight deadlines.
- A highly organised individual with ability to plan and prioritise workloads effectively for maximum impact, ensuring one’s own work, and others’, are complete and accurate in line with commitments.
- Has the ability to demonstrate concern for satisfying the needs of customers, both internally and externally.
- Excellent drive, enthusiasm and commitment and a keen interest in developing a career in The client.
- A ‘can do’ attitude and a positive solution focused mindset.
- Demonstrate strong analytical capability to interpret and challenge data.
- Has strong commercial acumen and a focus on delivering value to the business.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and ability to engage and develop relationships with individuals at all levels of the organisation. Ability to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
- Ability to express oneself clearly in business writing.
- Be a self-starter, identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked/before the situation requires it, whilst also being able to work collaboratively as a member of a highly interdependent team across many parts of the company.
- Resilient and calm under pressure.
- Has sound judgement and objective logical decision-making skills. Has faith in one’s own ideas and capability to be successful; willingness to take an independent position in the face of opposition.
- Has ability to develop, sponsor, or support the introduction of new and improved methods, products, procedures, or technologies.
- Willing to travel ad hoc if required.