R&D PhD Chemist
Cpl in partnership with SK Biotek are seeking to recruit an R&D PhD Chemist, on a permanent basis. Based in Swords, Co.Dublin.
ABOUT SK biotek
SK biotek Ireland, an SK pharmteco company, is a global Contract Development and Manufacturing organisation (CDMO) with state-of-the-art facilities in Korea, US, France and Ireland. We are part of the wider SK Inc. with revenues of $88 billion in 2022. Our mission is to ‘make what matters for a healthy, happier world’, from grams to tonnes. The Swords Campus has led the way in the development, scale-up and commercial manufacture of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs), Highly Potent Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients and Chemical Intermediates for almost 60 years. With a talented workforce, exceptional technical capabilities, and facilities we have made some of the world’s most important medicines and continue to do so. Further information on SK pharmteco can be found at https://vimeo.com/skpharmteco.
The R&D PhD Chemist will use their experience synthetic organic chemistry, to support all aspects of new and existing chemical processes on site. This will include, technology transfer, process development, process safety, process monitoring and troubleshooting. The role will involve cross-functional collaboration including with our Operations, Quality and SHE groups as well with our customers. The R&D group at SK biotek Ireland are a customer focused group supporting projects from early clinical phases all the way through to commercial production. As part of your role in these activities, you will:
· Work with a team of R&D chemists to support development projects in the laboratory. This may include route scouting and development, completion of proof-of-concept studies, crystallisation optimisation, and process safety assessments as required.
· Apply QbD principals in supporting products through development stages up to process validation.
· Leverage data monitoring and PAT tools in the laboratory such as FBRM, Raman, IR, as required. Identify and implement new technologies to support development for the business needs of the site.
· Collaborate with Operations engineers to ensure that process development operations demonstrated in the laboratory can be implemented successfully in the manufacturing plant and with analytical R&D chemists to ensure that appropriate methods are in place for updated procedures.
· Collaborate with R&D project leads, our project management group, and other functions such as SHE, Operations and Quality to ensure that project milestones are delivered as per the project plan.
· Work cross-functionally to ensure that project documentation and campaign readiness activities are completed on time.
· Work with our customers in development projects to ensure that the final process taken to the manufacturing plant is understood, robust, efficient, in-control and meets their expectations.
· Support technical chemistry assessments and the generation of proposals for new products.
· Act as product lead for specific commercial API product(s), providing technical support for their manufacture.
· Lead optimisation projects on throughput and yield in collaboration with Operations engineers.
· Support continuous process verification through collection and trending of data for commercial products, identify Out of Trend (OOT) and statistical Alert Events (SAE) and lead investigations where required with support from engineers and analytical chemists as required.
· Actively participate in cross functional manufacturing campaign performance support teams.
· Lead and support quality and safety investigations as required.
· Additionally, you will take an active role in the delivery of R&D metrics for safety and quality across all processes and activities operating on site.
Required Key Skills and Experience include:
· Strong technical background in chemistry.
· PhD in organic chemistry.
· 2+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
· Strong interpersonal and communicational skills and demonstrated ability to work across a matrix.
· Excellent problem-solving skills and commitment to continuous improvement.
· Ensure that GMP, Quality, Health & Safety are considered in all aspects of the role.
Additional skills relevant to the role
· Experience in crystallization development and DOE
· Experience in project management, troubleshooting and continuous process verification.
· Demonstrated capability in the use of standard tools for root cause analysis and standard statistical tools.
· Demonstrated capability in the use of various analytical/diagnostic tools including PAT, chromatography, and process safety.
Other Benefits include:
Excellent opportunities for career enhancement and personal development.
Competitive base salary.
Annual bonus linked to business results.
A well-established further education program.