Back to Blogs

Leaving a job: your P45 explained

your P45 explained | Cpl

In 2018, plans to get rid of traditional P45 and P60 forms were announced. The revised system will mean you can access your p45 online, getting rid of the need for paper documents.

These changes were implemented on January 1st 2019. Paper P45 and P60 documents are now abolished. Instead, they can be accessed online via your account on the Revenue website.

If you’re unsure about when you need a P45 or how to get yours, these guidelines and FAQs should help you out and make starting a new job much easier. If you're planning ahead and in need of advice before handing in your letter of resignation, read our blog on 'Handing in your notice: 8 steps on quitting your job'.

What is a P45 & when to get your P45

A P45 form is a statement of your pay and deductions for the year up to the date you leave your job. For example, your P45 should list all of your wages and the deductions (taxes) that were taken out each month.

It’s important because it shows your employer how much tax you’ve paid so far that year and proves you were correctly taxed in your previous job.

Deductions included on a P45 are:

  • PAYE – Pay as you earn

  • PRSI – Pay-related social insurance

  • USC – Universal social charge

Your employer will add your leaving and final payment details to the Revenue website when you leave a job, if you retire or if you are taking a career break. If you are transferring from a different branch within the same company, you will only need a p45 if the branch is treated as a separate operating point – your employer will be able to advise on this.

The difference between a P45 and a P60

A P45 is given to you when leaving a job. Prior to 2019, a P60 was a document given at the end of each year from your current employer, this is now referred to as an end of year statement.

Both contain details of your pay as well as the tax you’ve paid to the revenue. Both documents are now available online on your Revenue account.

From 2019 onwards, you will no longer get a P60 at the end of the year. Instead, an end of year statement will be available to you through the Revenue website.

How to get a P45 from your previous employer

From 2019 onwards, you will no longer get a P45 when you leave a job.

Instead, your employer will enter your leaving date and details of your final pay and deductions into Revenue’s online system and you can access these details online through Revenue’s myAccount service.

How to access your myAccount service?

You can register for myAccount if you are a:

  • PAYE taxpayer

  • LPT taxpayer

  • business customer, including those who have an active digital certificate for the Revenue Online Service (ROS)

  • new taxpayer.

Visit the Revenue website to register and access forms and manage your tax records.

What to do if your employer won’t give you your P45

If your employer doesn’t give you your P45, simply contact the revenue who will request the form from your employer.

What to do if you’ve lost your P45 form

If you lose a P45, your employer legally cannot give you a second copy. A good alternative is to get your new employers tax registration number. You can then call the revenue and give them this information along with your PPS no. and start date. They will then send a tax credits statement to your employer, so you shouldn’t be put on emergency tax.

P45 & Emergency Tax

From 2019 onwards, you will no longer get a P45 when you leave a job. Instead, these are available online via your account on the Revenue website. For more information on tax, visit the Revenue website.

When starting a new job, your employer will ask for your PPS number, so they can record your PSRI contributions, and your P45, if you don’t have it you’ll be emergency taxed. To avoid emergency tax, get your P45 as soon as possible and register your employment with the revenue.

Whether you’ve finished a job and started a new one, you’re taking a career break or have finished a job and are looking for a new one, it’s important to get your P45 form. Keep it safe and if you’re confused or have any questions get in touch with your local tax office who’ll be able to help.

Just finished a job and looking for a new one? Browse job opportunities across all sectors